PESTICIDE USE IN NORTHERN IRELAND Best Fruit Crops 301 Survey Report 2020 – National Statistics Announcement

Announcement of national statistics

This report presents information from a survey of the pesticide use practices of major fruit growers in Northern Ireland in 2020. This is the eleventh pesticide use survey to be conducted on the major fruit crops in the region since 1992. There was an estimated total of 202 best fruit farms in Northern Ireland in 2020. Since the previous survey, the total area of ​​major fruit crops decreased by 9% to 1362 hectares, and a slight decrease of 8% in the area cultivated with Bramley apples. A sample of 60 growers was selected to provide information on crop applications, storage treatments and orchard soil treatments. It is estimated that 91% of all leading fruit crops were grown in County Armagh, with Bramley apple orchards accounting for 98% of the total of the best fruit grown in Northern Ireland. It is estimated that 38,586 tonnes of Bramley apples were harvested in 2020, a decrease of 21% from 2018. Overall, around 18.4 tonnes of active pesticide ingredients (fungicides, herbicides, insecticides and plant regulators). growth) were applied to 27,355 hectares of spray. The surface treated with pesticides decreased by 10% compared to 2018 and the weight of the active ingredients applied decreased by 18%. Fungicide application accounted for 86% of the total area treated with pesticides (not including “other” products) and 91% of the weight applied. Compared to 2018, the area treated with fungicides decreased by 8% and the weight of fungicides applied decreased by 20%. Captan (24%), dodine (11%), pyrimethanil (10%) and mancozeb (9%) were the active ingredients of the most commonly used fungicides on major fruit crops, collectively accounting for 54% of the area treated with fungicides. It is estimated that 88% of all fungicide applications were applied for the control of apple scab (Venturia inaequalis). The application of insecticides and acaricides accounted for 6% and less than 1% of the total pesticide use by area treated and weight of active substance applied, respectively. The area treated with insecticides and acaricides decreased by 28% compared to 2018. Deltamethrin represented 45% of the area treated with insecticides, an increase of 50% since 2018. Chlorantraniliprole represented 17% of the area treated with insecticides. insecticides. The molt accelerator, methoxyfenozide, accounted for 16% of the area treated with the insecticide, a three-fold decrease since 2018. The use of the pyrethroid insecticide cypermethrin decreased by 39%, representing 11% of the population. total application of insecticide. Pyridine carboxamid flonicamid accounted for 9% of the insecticide treated area. Aphid control accounted for 24% of insecticide applications and an additional 39% was attributed to “general insect control”. Herbicide application accounted for 4% of the total pesticide use per area treated and 8% of the weight applied. Overall, the area treated with herbicides decreased by 14%, but the weight of herbicides applied increased by 6% compared to 2018. Glyphosate was the most frequently used herbicide, accounting for 46% of the total application of herbicides. The 2,4-D / glyphosate formulation accounted for 38% of the total herbicide treated area. The most common weed management practice was to apply herbicides in bands under the canopy of trees and mow the area of ​​grass between rows between rows of trees, with 93% of growers using this method. The remaining 7% of producers mowed or grazed the strips under the canopy in addition to the inter-row zone. Growth regulators accounted for 3% of the area treated with pesticides and less than 1% of the total weight of pesticides applied. Gibberellins and prohexadione were the only active growth regulating ingredients applied. Prohexadione accounted for 82% of the area treated with growth regulator and 99% of the total weight of growth regulator applied. It is estimated that 7.8 tonnes of “other products” were applied to 5,570 hectares treated. These included foliar foods, trace elements, and calcium products. The majority of applications were aimed at treating potential nutritional disorders. Data were also collected on postharvest storage treatments applied to higher fruit crops. Only Bramley apples were stored with around 16,023 tonnes of which 13,390 tonnes were processed. The active pesticide 1-methylcyclopropene was the only active pesticide used on upper fruit crops in storage in 2020.


Source link

Comments are closed.